A Dash of Science is different; it is not a science show - it is a place for children who already love science and are ready to go deeper and learn more!
Term 1: Shocking Science - Electricity
This term we will learn about Electricity:
- People Power - *Watts*
- Build-a-Battery - *Electric Potential*
- Do Pickles Make Good Wires? - *Conductivity*
- Let’s Mix Water and Electricity! - *Conductors vs Insulators*
- Free Energy? - *Forms of Energy*
- Switch It Up – * Transformation of Energy*
- Add It Up! - *Series and Parallel*
- Squishy Xplosions!? - *Circuits*
See the Lesson Plans for even more details!
What makes DashX special?
Lots of learning +
Lots of experimenting!
Alternating classes of theory and lab.
Notes, videos, and links are online.
Students can catch-up or learn at home if they miss a lesson or want to do more with it. (See this term's Lesson Plans)
A Dash of Science is different from a science club or show; it is more academic - in a fun and engaging way!
It is hands on, but also covers theory. Theory is taught in a way that every student is engaged and discoving new concepts.
Microsoft Office is an essential tool in today's world.
It is used in school, university, and business. It is powerful, yet easy enough for younger students.
Students will learn to use Excel to collect data and make graphs.
Skills learned in this course will give students an advantage in their academic and professional careers.
Please help students understand they are going to a lesson, not a show.
Children love to learn when it is done right!
Class sizes of about 10-20.
See the Registration Page to see if there are available spots.
We offer Junior (6-11) and Senior (11-16) age classes.
Course is suitable for 6-17.
Lessons are 1 hour.
See the Registration Page
See the Registration Page
8 Week Course
10% Family Discount for families with 2+ kids
|Payment||Due Date||Total Due|
Payments are split into two -
Half due at the start of the term, and the second half due mid-term.
Special payment arrangements can be made available upon request.
Additional/special materials may be required for individual lessons
Check Lesson Plans each week to see if any extra materials are needed
- Device (tablet and/or laptop) - can borrow if needed
- Eraser (rubber)
- Notebook (paper)
- Scientific Calculator (or app - see below for apps)
DashX takes safety very seriously.A very large amount of time is spent researching experiments that will be engaging, and also safe for young children to perform.
Extra precautions are required when doing a chemistry unit:
- Eye protection must be worn during all labs.
Safety Glasses will be provided, however some students may wish to bring their own that may be more comfortable.
- Rubber gloves must be worn when handling certain chemicals.
Gloves will be provided.
- Hair elastics must be used to tie back long hair.
Spare elastics will be avaliable
- Old clothes are recommended. We use chemicals that can stain clothes.
Students may wear an apron or lab coat if they have one
If you have any concerns about safety please contact us.
Choose your device below:
Install All 2 Free Apps
Install All 3 Free Apps
- Champ Scientific Calculator
- MyScript Calculator
- Excel (You will need to register for a free Microsoft account)
You only need 1 of these programs
Check to see if your already have Excel or Numbers,
if not then you may buy one, or use LibreOffice which is free.
- Excel - Not Free for Laptops - Check to see if it is already installed
- LibreOffice (Free - Mac, Win, Linux)
- Numbers - Mac Only - (Free with newer Macs/iPads otherwise $15)
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can parents attend with students?
A: Absolutely! In-fact we even encourage it.
Q: What if I don't have an iPad, tablet, or laptop?
A: There are iPads and laptops available to borrow during class.
Q: What do you mean by "more academic"?
A: If you are picturing an old-fashion school room with a teacher lecturing at the front, and students frantically taking notes, don't worry! It just means that while we do lots of hands-on experiments, we also take a moment to look at the concepts (and yes, sometimes even a peak at the mathmatics) behind an experiment.
Q: My child has trouble reading/writing will they still be able to participate?
A: Absolutely! We work with students of all ages and abilities. Parents can also attend to assist.
Q: Where can I see more about past and present classes?
A: Check out Current Students and Curriculum Menus at the top of the page for: